For this one post I have decided to stray just a little from the hawker centre by getting this particular bowl of noodles from EAT which is a chain of stores that sell almost solely this dish. However this dish can still be found in every hawker centre in Singapore.
Today's dish will be Bak Chor Mee but before we go into this delicious dish here is some background info about it. First of all, this dish is actually a variation of a popular dish called Mee pok. Mee pok in english. actually refers to the flat noodles that are used in this dish. This dish consists of flat noodles that are then mixed with the most important part of the dish, which is the sauce. The sauce is made up of 4 main components: chili, oil, vinegar and other condiments such as soy sauce. The chili is optional for the people that do not like the spiciness that it provides and it is instead replaced by ketchup for a different taste. The dish is then served with minced meat, pork slices and stewed mushrooms on the top.
Personally I do not like chili with my bak chor mee so instead I opted for the ketchup. The dish is naturally oily as they add oil to make sure the noodles do not stick to each other. The moment you can smell the dish, the smell of the vinegar in the sauce is the first thing that registers. For this dish the sauce must be mixed once more with the noodles to ensure it is evenly spread. The noodles are supposed to have a slightly hard feel to them but not too hard that it breaks instead of tearing when you pull them. For this bowl the noodles were almost perfect just slightly under cooked in my opinion but possibly just right in another's. This dish is my comfort food as I have been eating this since I was very young and until now my preference for it has not changed one bit. I recommend all of you to try this dish and i'm sure you will not regret it.
Question of the day : Where are your favourite places to eat Bak Chor Mee? Comment down below
Final Rating
4.5 / 5Question of the day : Where are your favourite places to eat Bak Chor Mee? Comment down below
In your own opinion, which hawker center has the best Bak Chor Mee ?
ReplyDeleteMEE POK actually means Thin Noodles, and not fishball noodles.
ReplyDeleteRight thank you for your feedback it will be updated :)
DeleteI like bak chor mee omg! I LOVE THE MEATBALL (thats what she said) BUT YA.
ReplyDeleteMeat ball is love, meat ball is life.